Wednesday 17 November 2010

MEET: Sarah Louise Dix

Today we are catching up with Sarah Louise Dix, who creates stunning couture upholstery.  It was Sarah's corset chair that first caught our eye and made us want to find out more about the designer behind this opulent piece, here's what Sarah had to say.....

 

Tell me what inspires you…..
Having initially studied fashion design and ended up in a BBC office until recently, I love having gone back to making things by hand. Old methods and trades inspire me too. I get inspiration from fashion, clothing, fabric and texture. Also surrealism, art and the natural world.

How did you get started?
Wanting to be my own boss and not to work in an office any more. I wanted to make things again like I did as a kid. I went through the list of local evening classes and picked one I liked the sound of! Upholstery involves old wooden things and fabric, and I love both.

Whose work do you admire?
I ended up working for Vivienne Westwood’s PR company after college so she is a great influence and I admire her greatly. I also admire Salvador Dali and love Nina Saunders, which is very surreal.

What has been the favourite piece you have created to date?
The Mini Cape Footstool. I wanted to keep it but it’s for sale in Blaqua Menswear in Newburg Street W1 at the moment. It’s made from a vintage dark gold sheepskin cape I found, it’s wonderful. It is also a piece that works very well design wise.
Cape Footstool
Describe your typical day….
I walk my daughter to school with my dog (five month old Cockerpoo) and bike, which has a dog basket. Having dropped her off I cycle to my studio via the park to walk the dog. After a coffee I work through until about two thirty. I share the studio with three other upholsterers and an illustrator.

I work on my own pieces and also chairs for clients. I have recently finished a reproduction of The Corset Chair in minty green and deep pink velvet. The idea is to design a piece and put it into production if it works really well and I get good feedback from the original. I cycle back to pick up my daughter and walk the dog again. When I get home I generally do a bit of PR and marketing and catch up with emails.

Tell me more about The Pink label…..
The Pink Label was created as the label for the reproduction pieces which are a more affordable product. I try and structure the business like a fashion company as clothing is the theme for my own designs. I get loads of national and international interest from people who find the original Corset Chair lovely but too expensive so hopefully the Pink Label will offer them something more accessible.

Woolcoat Chair

What was your most memorable commission or re-upholstered piece?
A stunning armchair for Blaqua Menswear made from their own shirt fabrics and ties.

When work is done, how do you relax?
I like visiting antique clothing sales for research and I’m addicted to second-hand shops. I do Pilates once a week for a good stretch and walk the dog, it’s very relaxing to be surrounded by trees and nature. Other than that red wine and telly.

Describe yourself in three words……..
Determined, neurotic, stylish.

Sarah's work is available at
Sarah Louise Dix
Etsy
Artfire

5 comments:

Gerry Snape said...

Wonderful design. A true Sartorialist!

Quietly Otaku said...

Beautiful work! I love your corset chair its so pretty.

Adriana said...

I just love the corset chair! It would blend perfectly in my decadent bedroom :D

The Whimsical Magpie said...

I love the corset chair too...but they're all so unique an amazing

Clare said...

Stunning work.